Recipe for an Amazing Cooking Matters for Child Care Professionals Training
Serving Size: Programs full of happy and healthy children
Prep Time: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. December 2, 2017
Ingredients (provided at no cost):
- 25 enthusiastic ECE professionals
- 1 knowledgeable trainer
- Tons of innovative tips and tricks to make meal time nutritious and stress-free
Cooking Matters for Child Care Professionals is a hands-on and interactive training that tackles mealtime and more. Participants learn about childhood health and nutrition and how to make healthy food appeal to young children. It also provides unique insights and tips that go beyond lunches and snacks.
Step 1: Register here.
Step 2: Join us at Qualistar on Saturday, December 2 from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Step 3: Learn how to shop for healthy foods and make sense of nutrition labels. Get a visual understanding of just how much sugar is in soda and juice. Lessons from a nutritionist help participants select foods and products with the maximum health benefits and minimal cost.
Step 4: Learn innovative and easy ways to increase servings of fruits and vegetables through collaborative cooking. TIP: a can of beans can easily become a delicious and nutritious dip for snack time, and pictures and visual cue cards can be used to craft a delicious banana and yogurt snack.
Step 5: Share stories with other participants and become empowered by other early childhood professionals. Feel revitalized and rejuvenated to use new strategies during meal times in your program.
Step 6: Take what you’ve learnedand share it with children to improve the quality of your program and the lives of the children you serve. The tips are so great, you’ll even use them in your own family!
Healthy Child Care Colorado is thrilled to be partnering with Share Our Strength to provide Cooking Matters for Child Care Professionals training. With the shared goal of obesity prevention, the partnership between Share Our Strength and Healthy Child Care Colorado is a natural fit. This training is one of the many ways Healthy Child Care Colorado strives to deliver high quality professional development experiences for early childhood professionals.
Sample recipe for homemade corn tortilla chips from Cooking Matters for Child Care Professionals
This is just one of the many fantastic and healthy recipes you will receive as a participant in the training.
- Serves 12, 4 chips per serving
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Baking sheet
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut each corn tortilla into six triangles.
- Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place tortilla slices on baking sheet. Lightly spray the chips with nonstick cooking spray to prevent burning.
- Bake until golden brown and crispy, about 8-10 minutes.
- Try whole wheat tortillas instead of corn tortillas.
- If serving chips with savory or salty foods, sprinkle with garlic powder before baking.
- For a sweet treat, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar before baking.
- Try serving with salsa, hummus, bean dip, or chili.